Canadian screenwriters are invited to apply to the WFF Praxis Screenwriters Lab, an intense five day workshop presented by the Whistler Film Festival and Praxis Centre for Screenwriters.The program will be held from December 1 to 5, 2014 during the Whistler Film Festival + Summit.
Designed to advance Canadian creative talent, the WFF Praxis Screenwriters Lab focuses on strengthening feature length scripts by facilitating feedback and mentorship from veteran screenwriters and story editors.
Up to 8 screenwriters will be invited to participate in the 2014 Screenwriters Lab.
What is the Screenwriters Lab?
Each year, Praxis holds a national call for entries seeking new screenplays by Canadian writers. This year, we are proud to announce the new Whistler Film Festival / Praxis 2014 Screenwriters Lab, a joint feature script development program for Canadian screenwriters that aligns our flagship feature screenplay competition with WFF’s slate of project development programs. Over thirty Praxis scripts have been produced
including Chris Trebilcock's THE DARK STRANGER and Jacob Tierney's THE TROTSKY, which opened the Whistler Film Festival in 2009.
Following careful jury selection, eight writers are invited to a five-day workshop to be held during the Whistler Film Festival
from December 1-5, 2014. Each selected screenwriter is carefully matched with a Creative Advisor (veteran screenwriter or story editor) and engage in one-on-one story sessions, analyzing the writer's intentions, rewriting, rethinking, and charting a course for further development and ultimately production. Advisors
include numerous highly accomplished screenwriters and story editors.
Writers who complete the 2014 Screenwriters Lab will be given an invitation-only opportunity to apply for part two of the program, the Summer Reading Series
in Vancouver, where their new screenplay drafts will be professionally cast for table readings and further feedback.
Feature film screenplays in all genres can be submitted to the competition. Writers must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants. All rights remain with the writer. Praxis has no proprietary interest in any of the projects.
- Writers receive targeted feedback on the screenplay with the guidance of a carefully selected Creative Advisor
- Writers participate in individual and group meetings with the Producer-in-Residence
- Writers receive an industry pass to the Whistler Film Festival, having the opportunity to network and connect with other industry professionals
- Writers leave the workshop having charted a course for a rewrite and further development
How to Apply:
Only complete applications will be considered. Praxis requires the following:
- Three bound copies of a completed first draft of a feature film script. (These must be three-hole punched with brads, card stock cover on the front and back, and writer’s name and address removed).
- Information regarding all relevant rights and option agreements if the script is not based on original material.
- A completed application form (see below) with all relevant support material, a resume, and/or biographical information.
- A non-refundable application fee of $55.00 enclosed for each title.
- A PDF version of the script should also be emailed to email@example.com by midnight on the deadline, with the subject line clearly indicating the name of the writer and title of the script.
Send complete application package and payment to:
Praxis Centre for Screenwriters
Suite 3365, 149 W. Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4
- Due to the number of screenplays we receive, we regret that we cannot provide any feedback on an individual submission.
- Treatments will not be considered.
- We do not return submitted screenplays to writers after the competition. All entries will be confidentially recycled.
The Application / Selection Process:
- After all the screenplays have been received, Praxis will send a confirmation of your application (2-3 weeks after the deadline).
- Screenplays are assigned a number and names are removed, to facilitate a blind selection process by three jury members consisting of professional screenwriters. Each writer remains anonymous to the jury until a short-list has been made.
- Final decisions will be made and the winners announced by September 30, 2014.
- Please note: Participants are required to cover the cost of their accommodation and travel for the Screenwriters Lab. Funding for travel may be available from your provincial agency.
||Call for submissions announced
|Week of July 14
||Confirmation email sent to all applicants
|| Screenwriters Lab takes place in Whistler, B.C. Writers receive a complimentary industry pass to attend 2014 Whistler Film Festival + Summit, December 3-7
Can I apply with more than 1 project?
Yes, you can submit as many projects as you’d like. Each submission entails a $55 entry fee.
I submitted my screenplay last year and didn’t win. Should I apply again this year?
Yes, the jury varies every year. A script that may not have been selected last year will be read by a different jury.
Can I drop off my application in person?
Yes, you can drop off your application at our office, room 3365 at 149 West Hastings Street or you can leave your application in an envelope marked “Praxis” at the Security office on the ground floor of 149 West Hastings Street.
Can I pay by credit card?
Yes. Please call our office at 778.782.7800 to provide your credit card information over the phone.
Can I submit a short screenplay?
No, feature length projects only.
If you have any more questions related to your application or the Screenwriters Lab, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-782-7880.